Hardwood flooring is an aesthetic home improvement, it is expensive and needs to be maintained accordingly. Taking care of it will not only help the wood to last long, but it will add value and appeal to the house. Vacuum cleaners manufactured specifically to be gentle and efficient on hardwood floors are hard to come by. There are, however, some very good options available for purchase.
These vacuum cleaners are also compact and light weight, putting very less strain on their user. Such vacuum cleaners are also ideal as they can stored easily, at the same time pulled out with equal ease to clean up any messes or spills. Such features in any vacuum cleaner increase the number of times it is used by home owners. Affordable pricing makes it feasible to invest in the best vacuum for hardwood floors, dedicated solely to this surface type and use.
Flooring is made from a number of different types of wood. Some scratch and scuff easily, while the others a tad bit more resistant. No matter what kind type of wood the flooring is made of, the right kind of vacuum cleaner will be mild, while still providing a meticulous cleaning. If the hardwood floors are completely sealed, users have the option of going with wet scrubbing vacuum cleaners. However, when the flooring is not sealed, dry vacuums are best.
- 1 Top 10 best vacuums for hardwood floors 2019
- 1.1 1. Shark rocket vacuum - HV301
- 1.2 2. Dyson ball multi-floor upright vacuum
- 1.3 3. Shark navigator lift-away professional upright vacuum - NV356E
- 1.4 4. Hoover floormate deluxe hard floor cleaner - FH40160PC
- 1.5 5. BISSELL hard floor expert bagless canister vacuum - 1154
- 1.6 6. Hoover linx cordless stick vacuum cleaner - BH50010
- 1.7 7. BISSELL symphony all-in-one vacuum and steam mop - 1132A
- 1.8 8. Hoover floormate spinscrub - FH40010B
- 1.9 9. Shark rotator powerlight professional vacuum cleaner - NV450
- 1.10 10. Hoover windtunnel t-series rewind plus bagless upright - UH70120
- 2 Benefits of vacuums for hardwood floors
- 3 Buying tips - vacuums for hardwood floors
- 4 Conclusion
Top 10 best vacuums for hardwood floors 2019
1. Shark rocket vacuum - HV301
Not everyone is in need of a heavy duty, full sized vacuum cleaner. The perks of a light weight, portable vacuum cleaner, one that can reach any corner or height, are many. One such vacuum cleaner is the shark rocket vacuum, model HV301. There are many similar models, shark has manufactured in the past, however, the HV301 stands out for its performance and features. It is one of the most versatile vacuum cleaners available in the market.
Shark products are known to have heavy suction in all their models of vacuum cleaners, because of their heavy duty motors, unique to shark products. The dust cup has a capacity of up to 0.118 gallons, while the total product weighs about 7.5 pounds. The special brush roll which works on both bare floors and carpeting, has 2 different speed settings, combined with the swivel steering, suctioning dust from every corner of the house.
Features at a glance
- Is able to clean both hardwood flooring and carpets.
- Slim enough to fit under large furniture such as sofas and beds.
- Expanding wand that reaches heights.
- Dust cup is a one press release mechanism for easy clean up.
- Comes with multiple accessories for both floor, above floor, car and upholstery vacuuming.
- These include car detailing kit, a duster brush, crevice tool, upholstery tool for pet hair, accessory holding bag, dedicated wall mount and a hardwood floor dusting attachment.
- Extremely lightweight, easy to use for a long period of time without tiring.
- Long cord helps to finish cleaning large areas without changing power outlet.
- Swivels easily to reach all kinds of corners, stair cases and risers.
- Known to perform excellently on both hardwood flooring and thoroughly cleaning carpets.
- Detachable floor nozzle for above the floor clean ups.
- Users do find that the dust cup is smaller that desired, and needs emptying pretty quickly.
2. Dyson ball multi-floor upright vacuum
Upright vacuums are ideal for anyone looking to invest in an all purpose vacuum cleaner. These upright models made by dyson are sturdy, have strong suction and last a long time. Dyson's ball design helps to steer it around any type of room with minimal effort and strain on the user.
The filter free radial root technology with the cyclonic cones, keep the entire unit running as good as new, because there is no clogging or breaks during vacuuming. The same also helps to keep suctioning continuous and powerful all through the vacuuming session. There is a hose in-built with the device, which releases with a quick button, this helps to reach spaces higher up to clean curtains or shelves situated out of reach from the floor.
There is no need to change the brush, as the brush roll adjusts itself to clean both hardwood flooring as well as carpets. It is one of the best vacuum for hardwood floors, gentle and sturdy. Uses vacuum to seal in the area, allowing for more dirt and dust to get trapped in, without leaving any scratches. While on carpets, it digs deep, to pull out any debris, especially hair and pet shedding, leaving in clear of any particles. This feature is what the product promises and definitely delivers it.
Features at a glance
- Radial root cyclonic technology.
- Automatic cleaner head for both hardwood flooring and carpets.
- Ball design helps for better steering and maneuverability.
- HEPA filtration to help those with allergies and asthma.
- Quick release wand to reach vertical heights.
- One push dust canister cleaning.
- Self adjusting cleaner head uses strong suction on all types of flooring.
- Ball technology increases maneuverability.
- Cyclone technology helps to keep the unit unclogged.
- Light weight.
- specially good for pet hair.
- Length of the cord is not long enough compared to its counterparts.
An upright vacuum cleaner that can also as easily reach heights is a time saver. One can simply stand in the same place and clean vertical spaces without the need for stools or ladders. The shark navigator is one such upright vacuum cleaner which provides a versatile approach to house chores. A strong suctioning capacity due to its cyclonic technology, it helps to separate dust particles from the air in order to keep the unit from clogging. This will help the device to last long and perform better.
The other unique feature is its lifetime guaranteed, HEPA filtration, this is highly beneficial for anyone suffering from asthma or allergies. The HEPA filters any allergens from the air, releasing fresh air, suitable for those suffering from such issues. At the same time, the vacuum cleaner is well sealed all throughout, to ensure that none of these allergens and dust that are trapped, have room to escape. There is a convenient swivel that helps to steer the vacuum cleaner in all directions, with less manual effort.
Features at a glance
- HEPA lifetime filter.
- Vacuum sealing throughout the unit for minimum escape of dust.
- Steering through an easy swivel design.
- Canister can be removed when not required.
- Cleans all types of flooring.
- Accessories include a pet hair brush, hardwood floor brush, a microfiber pad, a crevice tool and a dusting brush.
- Very affordable.
- HEPA filter.
- Detachable dust cup.
- Strong suction through cyclonic technology.
- Swivel steering.
- The unit seems to be heavier at the top, which happens when the canister fills up.
4. Hoover floormate deluxe hard floor cleaner - FH40160PC
A vacuum cleaner gentle enough on hardwood floors is hard to find. Hardwood floors scratch easily, and generic vacuum cleaners do not come with soft bristles specifically designed for hardwood flooring. The hoover floormate is especially designed for cleaning wooden floors, but it is also works on all other types of surfaces. It makes use of water either with soap or other cleaning agents in order to scrub hardwood flooring. There are two separate tanks, to hold both clean water and dirty water that is sucked in.
There are a set of counter rotating spin and scrub brushes which help to achieve a thorough cleaning. The handle has a switch that helps to release more detergent in stubborn areas, while the dry mode helps to dry out the floor quickly. It is extremely light weight even with all these features, totaling 14 pounds. The device is also quite compact as the handle folds down to fit in a smaller storage area. It is provided with a 20 foot power cord to aid cleaning in larger areas without the need to switch the power source.
Features at a glance
- An exclusive hardwood floor scrubber.
- Has 2 individual tanks, one for clean water, another to collect dirty water.
- Tanks can be detached for easy cleaning.
- Counter rotating brushes for deep cleaning.
- Wet and dry mode.
- Switch to release extra detergent.
- High performance scrub brushes.
- Light weight and compact.
- Sealed and large holding tanks for lesser spillage.
- Easy cleanup of device.
- Dry mode for quickest drying.
- Can only be used on sealed flooring, as it uses liquids to clean and scrub. It is not a vacuum cleaner.
5. BISSELL hard floor expert bagless canister vacuum - 1154
It is always convenient and time saving to have a vacuum cleaner that is an all-rounder. Canister vacuum cleaners are extremely popular among home owners, as they are more affordable but provide tremendous performance. They are also some of the stronger vacuum cleaners among all the models. BISSELL 1154 is one such model making is the best vacuum for hardwood floors. It is also extremely light weight, which along with the swivel steering makes it a breeze to move around any type of space.
While most such vacuum cleaners tend to only be suitable for carpeted floors, the BISSELL 1156 hard wood floor expert is designed to work wonders on wooden flooring too. Hardwood floors are high maintenance and expensive to install in the first place, a dedicated vacuum cleaner will keep them clean and glossy, lasting long. It has rubber wheels, that do not leave any marks or scratches while it is steered around a room. The dust canister too is located at the bottom, between the wheels, for easy emptying.
There is a very long extendable hose that helps to reach under furniture and tight spots. The various attachments provided easily snap onto the base for quicker and easier use.
Features at a glance
- Strong suctioning capability.
- Light weight and very compact for easy steering and storing.
- Soft bristled brush for hardwood flooring.
- Swiveled steering for easy travel around a room.
- Added along are a crevice tool, carpet tool, and a dusting brush.
- Extension wand for far reach.
- Swivel steering allows for convenient maneuverability.
- Rubber wheels along with felt threads do not leave any scuffs.
- Cord retracts automatically.
- Works great on hardwood floors.
- Air tight bag to hold vacuumed contents for zero spillage.
- As it is designed for hardwood flooring, it is known to do a less desirable job on carpets.
6. Hoover linx cordless stick vacuum cleaner - BH50010
This versatile vacuum cleaner manufactured by hoover, a leading brand in the production of vacuum cleaners, stands out for its sleek design and performance. It is one of the best vacuum for hardwood floors that is cordless and portable. Cordless vacuum cleaners are gaining popularity, not only because plugging and unplugging becomes cumbersome on most occasions, but the same vacuum cleaners can be taken out to clean vehicles too.
The most important feature of any cordless vacuum cleaner, are its batteries. This particular model comes with the latest lithium ion batteries, which hold charge for a long time, they charge faster, and mostly they do not reduce suctioning power even when running low. The cyclonic technology also makes it durable, clogging less as dust is separated appropriately. This feature also helps the vacuum cleaner to be ideal both on hardwood floors and carpeting. The dust canister situated at the bottom is easy to release, while the filters are washable.
Features at a glance
- Powered brush tool, able to handle all kinds of surfaces.
- Transparent dirt can is situated at the bottom, it is also detachable.
- Lithium ion batteries, shows stages to gauge charging.
- Dedicated charging stand, interchangeable batteries.
- Wind tunnel with cyclonic technology.
- Reclining handle to reach under furniture conveniently.
- Versatile to clean both carpets and floors without changing cleaner head.
- Works with the same suctioning power till batteries almost fade.
- Edge tool works wonders on all kinds of edges.
- Dust canister is detachable, emptying it is easy.
- In the world of filterless vacuum cleaners, this is one of the few that still needs filters. This might be a drawback as users have to manually wash the filters.
7. BISSELL symphony all-in-one vacuum and steam mop - 1132A
Keeping a home clean is a tough job, especially when that home comes with hardwood flooring. Hardwood floors show up dust faster, users also need to be extremely cautious about cleaning them. Not all kinds of vacuum cleaners or detergents can be used directly on hardwood floors, as they can be damaging to the wood. The BISSELL symphony steam mop comes with mop pads which are mild on the wooden floor, at the same time, allowing the vacuum to pick up all the grime that accumulates on the flooring.
It is an extremely light weight vacuum cleaner, under 10 pounds. The water tank can hold up to 3 ounces of water, which is sufficient to clean an area of 1000 square feet. It can always be refilled. Distilled water is recommended, so that the tank does not build up any residue, this increases the life of the vacuum cleaner. The steam does an excellent job in mopping the floors, along with the vacuuming function. This is a complete solution for anyone with a large area of hardwood flooring in their homes.
Features at a glance
- Vacuums and steam mops at the same time.
- Digital controls.
- Mops pads included, made of microfiber.
- Multiple steam controls.
- 400ml water holding tank.
- Quick release pad removal
- Hot steam waves kill up to 99% germs.
- Digital controls on the handle for ease of use.
- Mops release with one touch for hygiene.
- Affordable for a multi purpose vacuum cleaner.
- Saves time and energy when cleaning hardwood floors.
- Cannot be used on flooring that is not sealed, it is only suitable for hardwood flooring that is completely sealed and has no gaps.
8. Hoover floormate spinscrub - FH40010B
A multiple featured vacuum cleaner such as the hoover spin scrub, is convenient for anyone with hardwood flooring and are pinched on time. Working professionals do not find enough time to do the whole vacuum, mopping and drying process that has to be done in order to keep wooden flooring looking good. Such types of vacuum cleaners which can do all these tasks at once, with a single machine come in very handy. It is an upright vacuum cleaner, with a wide base and back wheels, which makes is very easy to steer around and on hardwood floors.
There are a total of 6 brushes on the base, they spin continuously, each in alternate direction to achieve maximum dirt pick up. This spinning and scrubbing is unique to this model of the hoover vacuum cleaners, specially designed for hardwood floors. The vacuum at the same time is able to suction the dust, while the cleaning is finished off with the drier which pumps out air to prevent scuffs or other types of streaking. It comes with 2 separate tanks which individually store detergent water and dirty water. They can hold up to 32 ounces, which means less clean up or refilling.
Features at a glance
- 3 in 1 cleaning mechanism.
- 3 modes, vacuuming, scrubbing and drying.
- SpinScrub brushes that rotate alternatively.
- 2 individual tanks for clean and dirty water.
- Retractable 18 foot long cord.
- Product comes with 30 wipes along with the recommended detergent.
- One solution for 3 chores.
- Easy to store as handle collapses on itself.
- Single button for all modes.
- Detachable water tanks for easy clean up.
- Dries flooring quickly.
- The prominent issue with this product is that when the vacuum is used on its own, the lack of substantial filters clogs up the unit. However, this is not a problem when mopping and drying.
9. Shark rotator powerlight professional vacuum cleaner - NV450
Upright vacuum cleaners provide for a larger cleaning head due to the way they are designed. This allows for faster cleaning as more floor space is covered over less time. The shark rotator is one such vacuum cleaner that is among the best vacuums for hardwood floors. A centrifugal force aided by the cyclonic action helps to keep this upright vacuum cleaner bag free, resulting in clog free, no fade suction. It has an entire unit HEPA filtration which is beneficial for anyone with allergies, respiratory issues or asthma.
This shark vacuum cleaner is made to swivel easily, swiveling always helps to reach hard to reach spaces and puts less pressure on the user. As it is an upright model, it also steers easily around any type space, with or without furniture. The brush roll can be switched on and off through a button on the handle, it can used on the carpet and turned off for the bare flooring. The product promises fade free suction and delivers it efficiently.
Features at a glance
- Multi purpose brush roll.
- The base separates, so that the hose can reach corners and tough spots.
- Self adjusting brush for different floor types.
- Extra long hose.
- 30 foot long cord.
- A mere 12.9 pounds for an upright vacuum cleaner.
- Suitable for hardwood flooring as well as carpeted flooring.
- Quick release base to use independently.
- HEPA filtration for cleaner air.
- Long cord and light weight design.
- Swivels and steers for easy maneuvering.
- Brush needs to be cleaned for homes with pets, as hair seems to get tangled quickly.
10. Hoover windtunnel t-series rewind plus bagless upright - UH70120
This model of the hoover windtunnel laptop is extremely affordable for the technology and performance it provides. It is an upright vacuum cleaner that is able to finish cleaning even large spaces very quickly. It is made for heavy duty use, with a large base, a sturdy handle and many accessories and extensions. The windtunnel technology is known to keep up the suction evenly all throughout the cleaning session, this also quickens the pace of the chore.
The removable dust come can hold up to 0.65 ounces of dust and particles, it is also easy to release and clear out. It comes with reusable and washable filters, along with entire unit HEPA filtrations, especially suitable for homes with pets. There is a special bumper, which even when collided with walls or furniture, does not cause any scuffs or damage. The brush roll can be used very conveniently, as a single control helps to change its height in 5 increments.
Features at a glance
- WindTunnel technology for fade free suction.
- Whole unit HEPA filters.
- 5 different adjustable heights for the brush roll.
- 27 foot long power cord.
- Multiple attachments such as the extension wand, upholstery brush and crevice tool.
- Reusable filters.
- Very affordable for an upright, heavy duty vacuum cleaner.
- Strong suction with windtunnel technology.
- HEPA filtration for cleaner air.
- Does not tip in any particular direction even though heavy.
- Cord retracts automatically.
- Users have to bend down to remove the cord which seems to get stuck under the unit due to its low placement.
Benefits of vacuums for hardwood floors
Vacuum cleaners, from good brands, provide quality cleaning services. Manual cleaning does not do the expected cleaning that vacuum cleaners can achieve. When it comes to hardwood floors, it is always ideal to have a devoted vacuum cleaner, in order to keep the wooden floors looking shiny and new.
- Easy Maintenance:Maintaining hardwood floors does not have to a tough task anymore. The availability of some of the best vacuums for hardwood floors makes this job easy and time saving. With the help of wet and dry vacuum cleaners, hardwood flooring can be both vacuumed and mopped with the help of the same device. This makes the entire process quick and easy. Both the wooden floor and the vacuum cleaner can be cleaned under minutes with the least amount of fuss.
- Safer Cleaning Technique: Vacuum cleaning wooden floors is safer than using any other type of cleaning tools and devices. Especially when the vacuum cleaner is designed for hardwood flooring, they will have softer bristles and dedicated features in order to preserve the wood without damaging it in the form of scratches, splinters or water damage. Wet vacuums should only be used on sealed wooden flooring, while dry ones can be used on unsealed ones.
- Designed To Be Gentle: Vacuum cleaners and the accompanying brushes and accessories are designed to be milked on hardwood floors. While other vacuum cleaners that are designed for carpets, have rough bristles, in order to dig deep into carpets and pull out dust and dirt. Those rough bristles are damaging to wooden floors, they should not be used at all, especially not long term. Damage to hardwood flooring will leave crevices and sand the polish soon. Which is why vacuum cleaners for wooden flooring are designed to be suitable to preserve the wood finish.
- Preserves Finish And Increases Durability: THe special design, quality and performance of a vacuum cleaner for hardwood flooring helps to keep the top coat as it is, without fading it over time. With the loss of the polish, wood becomes extremely vulnerable. Home owners should ensure that this does not happen, once wood is exposed directly, it is susceptible to wear, staining and becoming dirty. A good vacuum cleaner will ensure that the wood lasts long, and the flooring looks as fresh as new.
- Convenient Dusting And Mopping: Sweeping the entire floor and then mopping it gets extremely tiring for any home owner, especially when it has to be done on a daily basis. However, for hardwood flooring, especially high gloss finishes, daily maintenance is required. Without which it will look dull and dirty. If the dust is not cleared out, it also shows up prominently on wooden floors. Any spills or messes need to be cleaned out, as wood should not be exposed to water for long periods of time. This constant cleaning is possible only through a multi-purpose vacuum cleaner.
Buying tips - vacuums for hardwood floors
As manufacturers are continually producing and releasing vacuum cleaners, it becomes very difficult for a user to choose a right one. Some tips and pointers to remember on the check list, helps to narrow down options and find the best vacuum for hardwood floors.
1. Performance on hardwood floors
The first tip to choose the right vacuum cleaner for the specific purpose is to see if it actually works well on hardwood flooring. Other types of vacuum cleaners which are used for regular flooring do not do the right kind of job when it comes to wooden floors. Vacuum cleaners for wooden flooring need to deliver performance that allows for the user to preserve their hardwood floors without putting too much effort into the actual chore on a regular basis.
2. Affordability of the product
If home owners already have a vacuum cleaner and if they are looking to purchase one for their newly installed hardwood floors, it is not always feasible or possible to spend a lot of money on a second vacuum cleaner. As hardwood floors require that they have a safe vacuum cleaner that is designed to be gently, an affordable vacuum cleaner that fits the budget should be sought out. There are such options available, and users should always look to strike a balance between budget and performance.
3. Features provided
Hybrid vacuum cleaners are ideal for wooden floors, as they are able to provide multiple features in a single vacuum cleaner. These features include, mopping, steaming, vacuuming, brushing, etc. Along with this filterless vacuums, with large water tanks and easy controls are something new users should look for in the latest vacuum cleaners. All these features are provided by manufacturers, it is always best to get the most for the money spent in investing on a vacuum cleaner for hardwood flooring.
4. Versatility on other surfaces
When searching for vacuum cleaners for hardwood flooring, consumers should not only look for special features that are developed for wooden flooring, but also ensure that the same vacuum cleaner is versatile on other types of surfaces. This saves time and money, so that one is able to use the same vacuum cleaner on all kinds of spaces in their homes, instead of constantly switching between vacuum cleaners. Storing multiple vacuum cleaners is also not convenient, therefore, one that is adaptable is the best buy.
5. Type and size of vacuum cleaner
Different homes need a separate type of vacuum cleaner. Some might be comfortable with upright vacuum cleaners, while some would prefer a cordless, handheld device. This totally depends on the size of the house and the comfort of the user. The amount of cleaning one is looking to achieve, and the storage space determines what sized vacuum cleaner to purchase. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, users need to check out comparison charts to make this research easier.
Home owners invest a great deal of money, time and effort into installing hardwood flooring in their homes. Leading brands of vacuum cleaners, have been able to successfully help such users keep their hardwood flooring as good as when they were initially installed, by manufacturing some of the best vacuums for hardwood floors. These vacuums save precious time and energy of any consumer by being highly efficient. A wet and dry vacuum cleaner is the most suitable, especially one with an option to choose between the both depending on the usage and convenience.